Sunday, May 22, 2011

on the menu

Here's what I am dishing up this week at the Shingler household.  I will let you know how they turn out!


Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

This is Katie Lee Joel's recipe but I couldn't find it online for some reason...

3 tbs unsalted butter
3 tbs AP flour
2 c chicken broth
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 c sour cream
2 c grated Parmesan
3 c frozen broccoli florets, thawed (I am using fresh, chopped broccoli and boiling it in the broth briefly)
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 c cracker crumbs

Preheat oven to 325.  In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the flour.  Add the broth and shallot, increase heat to boil (I will add the broccoli at this point) and then reduce to simmer.  After about 10 minutes, the mixture will thicken.  Add the salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove from heat, add the sour cream and 1/4 c Parmesan. 

Arrange the broccoli in a 2-qt gratin dish and pour half the sauce over it.  Arrange the chicken over that and pour on the remaining sauce.  Top with cracker crumbs and remaining cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes and then broil until the crumbs are gbd (golden brown delicious).   



I just made this up to cook for tomorrow and I think it is going to be delicious!!  I don't know that I have ever eaten meat loaf but Brad loves it so I wanted to give it a try.  I am betting this may be a new fave.  The carrots look yummy too!


No comments: