Friday, August 5, 2016

Cumin-cornmeal crusted pork

These last few weeks, I have really tried to have dinner ready around 6:30 for us all to sit down together. Typically, we would feed MV, put her down and then I'd cook for us. I am setting a goal to create menus, buy groceries and prep what I can on Mondays (because I don't work) or the night before. I'm really excited about getting back to cooking - and eating - again!
I was waiting at the car place for new tires the other day (yuck) and walked over to Publix. I had no groceries to buy and no kids in tow. It was divine. I just wandered around taking it all in. I'm a nerd, I know. But to have time to just browse was liberating. Someone asked if I needed anything and I said no, that I was just looking. Like I was in a clothing store or something. Ha. 
 
Anyway, so I browsed the recipe display and decided to make this. It wasn't quite as good as the Cajun pork but still very good!  I served mine with bread and canned field peas with snaps. I don't like mayo so I just mixed sour cream with a little chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. (Tip - I never use a whole can so I freeze each pepper with a little sauce in an ice cube tray to use later.)
 
 
To prep the night before, I cut the pork and soaked it in the egg/mustard mix. Then I mixed the crumb mixture as well. Since I figured the crust would get really soggy if reheated (I hate leftovers), I only cooked half of it each night. When I got home with the kids, I just had to coat with the crumb mixture and cook. 

I did find using butter on medium-high heat caused them to cook too fast and not get the center done.  So I only did oil and cooked much slower on the second batch  

 

Enjoy!

No comments: