Here is the almost-finished product! I am taking down the champagne corks up top and will continue the pattern to fill that in a little more. So exciting!
I just happened to have this perfect little space in my house but you could do this on a flat wall or inside a frame as well. I first cut some cardboard to fit the space as a backer. I decided to use a herringbone pattern instead of just rows or columns of corks. The real ones are all different sizes and this pattern was more forgiving than others. I did a border to make it a little neater around the edges. The corks are just glued on with hot glue! I have had some come loose but they are a cinch to glue again. The little triangles of empty space left at the top and bottom were filled in with half pieces.
Note - you will need to go through your cork collection ahead of time and try to use the ones that most closely resemble each other in length. For sure.