Monday, November 21, 2011

Larry, you will be missed...

Lawrence Harry Munson, the voice of the Dawgs for 42 years, passed away yesterday.  For all Georgia fans, Larry's voice was that something special and so added to our football experiences.  Everyone has their favorite Larry moment - from 'Run Lindsay Run' to 'My God a Freshman' to 'Look at the Sugar Falling from the Sky' to 'There Goes Herschel' to 'We Stepped on Their Face with a Hob-Nailed Boot and Broke Their Nose.'  Here's a video of some of the best. 

I am not eloquent enough to pay tribute adequately but I think the following says it all...

From T Kyle King at DawgsSports:

"We are saddened by the loss, but we are thankful, this special week, for having had the privilege of hearing his words, and we look up to the shining canopy of Heaven as he leaps into the waiting arms of God, and we say: "There goes Munson . . . there goes Munson . . . there goes Munson . . .""



Two personal examples of his influence:

* My family owns a VHS copy of the 1980 National Championship season review.  It was narrated by Lewis Grizzard and includes many Larry calls - two DGD (damn good dawgs).  A few years ago, I had the AV team at the Sheraton Birmingham make ten copies on DVDs for my family.  I can promise they have all been watched numerous times.  That might not be the case if it weren't for Larry. 

* My uncle lived in Las Vegas for the majority of the 80s and 90s.  Being a dyed-in-the-wool UGA fan, he couldn't do without Larry.  Somehow, there was this 'hotline' that he called and had Larry virtually piped into his house every Saturday.  I'd say that was worth every penny. 


Now I am going to wipe my tears and go enjoy the "Best of Larry's Calls" I received for Christmas a few years ago. 

And then, on Saturday, I am going to enjoy the tributes to this great man as our beloved Dawgs seek their 10th straight win and get ready for their 4th trip to the SEC Championship in Richt's 10 years. 



I know Larry will be there for every play. RIP Mr. Munson.

No comments: