Monday, August 12, 2013

boat farewell party food

Before I retired to my death (pregnancy-sickness) bed, we did host a party for the pontoon boat.  Brad had decided to sell it after about 10 years of enjoyment.  It also happened to be Kentucky Derby day but we leaned more towards cookout food as we would at the lake.  I will post party pics later but here is the food:


Spread of cornbread salad, fruit salad, baked beans, creamy cucumbers and plain ole French onion dip.


Baked beans.  Ok, I admit to never having done these from scratch.  I love Bush's (usually combine a few varieties).  Cover them with bacon and bake until hot.  Done and delicious!



This was uh mazing!  I made cornbread from scratch (see below for recipe), let it cool and crumbled in the bottom of a large, glass dish.  Cover that with pintos, corn, peppers and onions.  Sprinkle cheddar on top and then drizzle with the buttermilk ranch dressing.  Yummy!!




Delish and oh-so-easy.  Just remember to make in advance.




Nothing super special here but I love this honey-lime dressing. 



Cornbread

I don't have exact measurements but here goes:

1.5 c of self-rising cornmeal
1 egg
As much oil as egg (usually 1/3 c)
Buttermilk until soupy (I mean REALLY soupy)

Mix all together and let sit for bubbles to form.  Put a few tablespoons of oil is a cast-iron skillet and heat in preheated oven. (400 degrees)  Once hot, pour the batter in.  It will sizzle which is what makes that beautiful crunchy exterior.  I don't like sweet cornbread so this is my favorite by far!


1 comment:

zerry ht said...

Yummy! These are some mouth-watering dishes. Can you also share the recipes? There is a huge family celebration coming up and since my cousin is a budding chef, I am sure he would like to try something new like this. We have booked one of the finest New York venues for the occasion.