Monday, February 25, 2013

fresh pasta and sauce with meatballs

So, my second foray into Nigella Bites was even more ambitious! 
 
 
I bought the Kitchenaid pasta roller and cutter set to help with this.  Money well spent.
 
 
The meatball mixture - pork and beef, breadcrumbs, egg and herbage.  I actually thought these could have used more seasoning.

 
Again, she likes to 'puree' her onion and garlic.  Again, I think I will skip this step.  Just dice those suckers and cook them down. 


 
The sauce with meatballs.  I was smart enough to do the sauce and meatballs on one night (while we ate leftovers) and the pasta the next.

 
The pasta dough resting.  I cheated and used my Kitchenaid.  Maybe I will knead by hand next time.  I used semolina flour.

 
Rolling the pasta flat.

 
Cutting the pasta.  The hardest part about all of this was keeping the pieces manageable.  They were really long and I didn't have enough hands to keep up.  So, I ended up cutting shorter pieces as I went.

 
Finished product.  It was really good and made plenty to freeze for later.  And, as with the risotto, we used the olive oil for bread-dipping. 

No comments: