Sunday, May 13, 2012

using home brew spent grains to make bread

On Monday, Levi came through on his way to Charleston and helped Brad start his first batch of home brew.  At Levi's suggestion, I took the spent grains and roasted them in the oven in order to use them in some homemade bread.  I just spread them in a pan and roasted at 250 until nice and dry.  They will not keep very long wet (they get moldy) so this was very helpful.

I used this recipe for Hearty Oats 'n Wheat Loaves.  Mom used to make all of our bread growing up and this was our sandwich bread.  


Once the grains were dry, I stored them until today.  


The bread flour, oats, yeast and salt mixed with the warm water, corn syrup and butter.  I didn't have corn syrup so I used 1 cup of white sugar and 1/4 c more water instead.  


I added the wheat and rye flours (Well, all wheat really.  I didn't have rye.) and then added the spent grains. I think I added about 2.5 cups of them.  I just eyeballed it to make sure it didn't get too heavy.  


In a greased bowl for the first rise.  


After the first rise, doubled in size as it should be.  A warm environment is necessary for a good rise so I just set the bowl on top of the stove while the oven was preheating.  


After the second rise.  I didn't do a very good job of splitting the dough evenly but it didn't matter.  Ready to go in the oven!


There are not many things that smell better than baking bread.  OMG.  This stuff was divine.  Yummy...

No comments: