Thursday, October 27, 2011

penne alla vodka

This was a quick and yummy dinner for a Monday night.  I added some sauteed turkey sausage for Brad.  :)

And, it's Weight Watchers!



2 c uncooked penne
2 Tbsp reduced calorie tub margarine
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 plum tomato, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup reduced fat chicken broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp vodka
1/4 c diced tomato
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley

Cook the penne according to package directions; drain and keep warm.  Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a medium nonstick skillet, then add the shallot and tomato. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomato paste, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, then add the cream and vodka. Cook, stirring constantly, until just heated through (do not boil). Pour the sauce over the penne and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the diced tomato, cheese and parsley and serve at once.

*Jami's notes: I used shells instead of penne.  I used 1/2 of a large can of crushed tomatoes instead of the tomato and paste.  I used my trusty onion flake instead of shallot.  And, as mentioned above, I added some turkey sausage for my meat-lovin' husband.If you don't have cream or want to cut more calories/fat, you could try milk instead of cream.*

No comments: